Thursday, April 25, 2013


I am going to try something new.  I will do this in Word and copy into the blog.  So, if you are not reading this, it didn’t work.  ok so you can read the blog, but processing pictures to thing is not easy with limited access and time thing maybe get the pics up later

Yesterday was Full!!!  Like 3 to 4 Adventures in one day.  We started out from MaryAnn’s house and headed up through Dana Point.  Saw our second day of dolphins…..  then it was cruisen until Laguna beach…..

Back up, when we first started planning this trip.  We were going to use our road bikes.  Then we decided to camp and gear started to add up…. Then we decided to do mtn bikes, but my front shocks were very soft.  I started to read up on the shocks and they say change oil once a season, which put me into a tail spin as I did not know how many years in a season…..so Chuck got a new bike.  Then a good friend of my neighbor Earl brought over some beautiful back paniers that he and his wife Joy used on their ride through Missouri (or one of those east coast states).  Which greatly helped and I thanked him lots mostly through our mobile communication device, Earl….

Onward to Laguna Beach, I decided to pull in and  wait for Barb and when I hit the bump my right rear panier fell off.  The hook that held the bottom of the panier to the bike broke.  It was at that time I wondered what kind of gear that friend Dave had given me.  I had just  happened to pull into the Village Mart on the corner of hywy 1 and laguna road (or something like that).  I showed the owner the broken hook and he rummaged around found a peg board hanger, gave me some pliers and told me I had enough things to fix my problem……so I did.  After that I was thinking Dave was still a very good guy, and life was good.

So off, we were surprised of the expanse of all the beaches.  Being a southern Cal guy, I had never seen the LA/Orange Co beaches.  We took time to do a little detour (we got lost).  The map we bought from Adventure Cycling seem to have a base map that was at least 20 years old.  They do say to check all the routes, but did I….’ell no!

For the most of the morning it was kind of a Wayne day, Wayne being a close friend that doesn’t like heat.  The morning weather was overcast with a constant spit.  Afternoon was sunny, which Barb and I have been looking forward to since our 32 degree ride on the Jan 1. 




We got unlost by getting back onto highway 1 that took us through the west LA area to Torrence.  Holy Crapola Batman!!!!!!  We wound up in an industrial/port area where we were rubbing bumpers with container trucks.  Whipeeee

Then on to Huntington beach and north to Santa Monica.  Beautiful stretch of beaches, non-ending.  We had gained 15 miles on our little side excursion, and what was supposed to be a long 80 mile day to Malibu, turned into a really long 95 mile (Barbs computer said 100 miles-don’t believe it  J).  The trail serpentined on the beach.  Since it was looking like a long day I offered her to go to the road which was straighter and no traffic.  She said no, she enjoyed the serpentine.

Thinking ahead, we called the RV campground (yes bikes are RV) to see if we should pick up groceries before we got there as we were coming in late, or if there were restaurants….sure no problems.  There must have been communication problem as the restaurants were closed and the store was back some three miles (big hill between).  As we were thinking oatmeal for dinner,  the wonderful lady mentioned that on the bulletin board there was a list of restaurants that delivered….YEEEAH, pizza to out delivered camp site!  I had to tell myself to slow down this thing is already dead…..i was just swallowing, not chewing!







Big thank you to Malibu Beach RV Park.  Not to mention the view from our camp site.  Also BIG SHOUT OUT to the southern Cal drivers, for the busy traffic that we got ourselves into, we did not have any problems and as far as we could tell everyone was courteous…..of course that is the nice thing about getting old, a lot that we don’t pick up on……  morning view from our camp site, tried to take one at night with the moon on the water, but don’t know how.  Wonderful day, and it seemed like 3 days in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment