Saturday, May 4, 2013

well we went into a big black hole from San Luis Obisbo north to Big Sur, so no posting to be done on those days.....but don't mean we still weren't having fun.......and now for the updates.
 this is Barb thinking we might have good accomodations.  Actually, this is in memory of her mom, who was a shutter bug from an early age and two things she liked to take pictures of was her daughter and road signs.....

 
Anudda day 4/30/13

Well I mentioned that we spent a little time at the restaurant with breakfast and the blog, but I failed to mention that it was like 2 hours, so we really got going at about 12:30PM.  40 miles usually isn’t bad, but we had a few hills, not to mention visiting a colony of elephant seals……

First we have a picture of Barb thinking we had accommodations at Hearst Castle, which we didn’t.  Then we had the elephant seal colony, which just basically laid around and fan sand on each other.  Something I think I could get into….. laying around with a bevy of gals all around…Ooops gotta be careful, Barb is looking over my shoulder…. Of course the last time I fanned sand on a gal at the breach, I got in trouble as she didn’t like it – aw the complexities of life.  the Seals must know how to do it.

Here we are at Elephant Seal Beach







 

Then….it was into the hills and the start of Big Sur Park.  Little or no shoulder and CLIMB.  We have lots of pictures of that.  I must say the drivers are courteous for  the most part.  Barb had one that thought she should move over and there wasn’t room, but all and all didn’t seem life threatening.  Lots of stops, so as I waited for Barb, I seemed to have taken about 120 pictures…usually Barbs MO and no, I am not going to load them all.  BEAUTIFULL SCENERY!!!!!!!  Steep cliffs.  One nice thing about all the hill climbing, little or no wind, and some WheeHee rides down some real curvy roads.






We have a pic of the two of us at lunch break at ragged point….still having fun, married and in love J

In case you didn’t  notice…..no sun.  I even put on long pants today.  So sweat on the way up the hills and chilly cold on the way down.  Pretty much Waynes kinda weather.  Definitely not as cold as some Washington rides, but not as warm as we had hoped.  I haven’t used my full fingered heavy gloves yet.



climb a 3 foot berm next to the road and just look down

I know she could carry more load...



Polite drivers waiting there turn to pass Barb

Lots of these rigs, but the car of choice is Mustang convertible...literally hundreds of them...well at least 50 of them

looking ahead

 
We were supposed to spend the night at a remote campsite with no water, so the last 8 miles I loaded up an additional 8 pounds of water, in addition to 3 my water bottles.  It became obvious that we were running late, and when we hit the last berg (Gorda) before the campsite, they had a hotel, restaurant and VACANCY,]!!!!!!! So needless to say, even though we had paid for the campsite, we stayed in Gorda. Last two pics are from outside our room, sunset and Vacancy sign.
 And off to Big Sur camp ground tomorrow.  Since we have no internet connection, we may be there before you read this.  Jacky is supposed to meet us in Big Sur!!!!!
Toodles for the night
A bit of backtracking, we started our journey with a breakfast with old friends.  Robert, Hal and his wife Allison and my sister Peg.  We have a picture of us in front of Marios in La Mesa.  I have an affinity for machaca and eggs for breakfast.  So here is our picture. It is always fun to start adventures with friendships.
Random thought….the more I think about Brian and Howard, the more I think I must be living on the good graces of my parents, certainly not mine.  What a truly lucky and positive experience.  Thanks again to both.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment